Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Seoul Driving in a $400 car

One of Dave Ramsey's favorite things to say to people trying to get out of debt is to sell their car (among other things) and get a $400 car. The reason is because the original car probably has a monthly payment attached to it. Anyway, the $400 car is paid for with cash. No additionally monthly payments, of course insurance can drop because don't need to carry comprehensive/collision insurance.

Okay, they other thing is that Dave doesn't necessarily want you to drive a $400 car forever. I've been driving mine for 20 months now. While I do have to make repairs from time to time and I have put $400 into it over those 20 months, it is still cheaper to maintain and repair that car than to make payments on a new car.

Where am I going with all of this - good question, and as soon as I figure it out, I'll let you know. No really, I recently had the car winterized as it is really starting to get cold here in Korea.

In those 20 months that I had the car, most of my driving has been to the south of Seoul. Well, today, for the first time ever I drove UP (aka NORTH) to Uijongbu. My main reason was to attend a graduation. It took about 45 minutes to drive the total 20km (or so straight line distance). Of course to get there we had to take a detour around the Express Bus terminal before getting on the correct expressway. On the way back had to detour another 5 kms to get back home.

In all, it was a good trip and the car... well, it ran extremely well. Glad I had it tuned up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home