Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Random Musings of the Day

Okay, so I know that I haven't posted since the last update about three weeks ago. I have been busy, but that is really no excuse.

I have been cleaning the apartment and preparing to pack for a trip that I will be taking later to see DVN2RCKR, rnrB, and trkr. Part of that preparing involves collecting up several of the items that have been left here over the last year as a result of the various trips that they have made. But, it also involves searching for those "one-of-a-kind" items to take back to them in the states.

The first involves cucumber soap. Yes, for some it does sound odd, but we bought three bars of it in China last April (the soap itself was from Korea). DVN2RCKR wasn't sure about it initially, but once she used it, she loved it. The problem is that most (or all) US stores don't carry it. She could go to the Korean market stores, but end up paying twice the price. So I have a few bars of that to take home.

The second involves electronics. I am the certified electronics (aka computer guru) of the family. I usually travel with several different types of systems to store data or access it, or whatever. Since the big push to digital cameras a few years ago, we have all been subject to data loss of pictures. Believe me, I my job, I have seen my fair share of data lost due to hard drive failure. In about 75% of the cases we can recover the data internally. Anyway, the question becomes where do you store this data separate from the computer and how do you get it there? The quick (and short) answer is DVD-R disks.

The problem is that I have the DVD burner in Korea. Oops (Well, not really). Okay, next solution - pull the data over the Internet. Well, setting up a VPN between systems is possible (and used from time to time), but when we start looking at pulling 5Gb of data over a flaky wireless connection... Anyway, you get the idea. TRKEE must go to data. In the end, I have a 250Gb external HDD assembly for backing up all these digital photos, which I will then burn onto DVDs which will eventually be stored in a safe deposit box (somewhere, eventually).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home