Moving Week
Oh, sorry for the delay in posting, have been rather busy since last week.1) Moved Buildings.
2) Spent "Considerable Time" in the library.
3) Recovered from moving buildings
4) Ordered gifts. Received gifts.
Moved Buildings:
I used to work in a "temporary" building that was built in the 1960s (earliest information we could find). The building itself was designed to be used for a couple of years until permanent structures could be built. Well, it turned out that it was easier to maintain the "temporary" building than design and built a new structure. At the begining of the month we were able to move to the permanent building due to organization structure changes.
Of course moving a shop that had been in existance for several years is hard enough. We also had had to move three server racks and 12 servers from one building to their new home (on the second floor - no elevators). It took four of us until midnight to get half of the servers up and running. {Those were the mission critical servers.} We spent the better part of the next day doing proper cable management and getting the rest of the servers up and running.
Today (Monday) the guys were finally able to start getting their individual work spaces setup. Hey, what can I say, servers come first.
"Considerable Time" in the Library:
Okay, not quite like Patton, I have spent time in libraries before. Of course it has been several years since I've done any "serious" research. Due to other requirements, I've doing research for several papers that I have to write. I finally stopped procrastinating this weekend and went to find my sources.
Recovered from Moving Buildings:
Okay, so the building move is "officially" done; as in the stuff is moved from one to the other, but we're not totally unpacked yet. I cleaned out the last of my boxes this morning. The rest of my time is slowly getting to their stuff as well. I managed to hit the bowling lanes tonight ($1 a game) and bowled three quick games. Had a average of 155 (which is good for me), but had a low game of 114. That was a strange game, I couldn't pick up a spare.
Anyway, we'll probably be fully settled into the new building about this time next week. Everybody likes it (so far), and hey, I've got WALLS. {Old building was a quanset hut. A quanset hut is a semi-circular building - think Gomer Pyle.) The other nice thing is that on the second floor, I generally don't have to worry about water problems.
Ordered gifts. Received gifts:
During the last time period, dvn2rckr and I had our wedding aniversary. Not sure what to get (or really how to do it), I ordered a set a Titanium wedding bands. We had been talking about getting Titanium wedding bands for probably two years now, but never really got much beyond talking about it. I remembered from when I got the engagement ring, her ring size is the same as my pinky finger (good information to know). I downloaded a couple of "ring sizers" off the internet. One from no idea where and the other from Walmart. Well, the sizes were off by half a size (which would not do). I went to a jewlry shop and asked to use their ring sizer, and found my size and dvn2rckr's size. {Note, it is recommended to take the size of different days and at different times to ensure that it is accurate}
With ring sizes in hand, I went searching the Internet for prices and rings. I wanted to find someone that would send overseas as well. For whatever reason, and I have no idea how I stumbled upon this website, but I found Boone Rings. It seemed to be a Mom and Pop shop, and the prices were reasonable. The owner started out by making Titanium chain cogs for bikes. He eventually had to quit is "real job" and hire additional personnel to keep up with the demand for titantium bike parts. Eventually, he expanded out into rings, just before the bike manufacturers started including titanium parts in the bikes.
Anyway, I place the order at around 9pm Tuesday night (Korea Standard Time or 8 am EST). Of course, I leave the speakers turned on the computer and head off to bed. Next thing I know, I hear a new mail sound. That just won't work, so I head into the "office" to turn off the speakers. I check the mail and I have two notes from Bruce Boone (the owner) that he's got both of my orders and will start work on them today! Cool, I think and head off to bed. I check my mail in the morning and just about freak out - both rings are done (its only been 6 hours since I placed the order) and are in the mail that day!!!! Based on his timeline and USPS Priority Mail, dvn2rckr should receive hers by Friday and mine would arrive either on Saturday or Monday.
Making a long story longer... I talked to dvn2rckr on Wednesday (PST) to let her know that her anniversary gift was in the mail. She recived her ring on Friday and of course called me first thing Saturday morning to let me know that it had arrived. She asked if she could wear it now since it was an anniversary gift, I said yes (of course!). Mine of course had not arrived as it has to get transloaded in San Francisco before coming to me. Based on when dvn2rckr got hers, Monday was a good bet for me. It is here and is simply amazing.
It took SIX days from order to delivery for CUSTOM made Titanium rings. That completely astounds me. That was faster than shipping that I've had to winnings on eBay?!?! If your in the market for a Titanium ring (or pen) go to Boone's Rings at http://www.boonerings.com you will not be disapointed and turn around is extremely FAST!

1 Comments:
A comment from the peanut gallery:
I absolutely love this ring!!! It's beautiful, comfortable, feels incredible between your fingers (silky smooth--like butter) and makes a really cool 'bell' sound when it drops (ask trkr sometime how I learned this!!!). Love it, love it, love it!
Thank you trkee for the past 13 awesome years! I love you!!!
dvn2r ckr
Post a Comment
<< Home